Thursday, May 28, 2009

Marriage and childbearing

A recent BreakPoint commentary looked at the recent statistics that 40% of American babies born in 2007 were born to unmarried women.

"But while our ideas about marriage have changed, our natures haven’t. One thing that Christians and dyed-in-the-wool Darwinists can agree on is that we are driven to reproduce ourselves. With a few exceptions, no matter how successful we might be, many feel that if we leave no descendants behind, all the striving is beside the point."

The bold is mine. And it's something I've been thinking about a LOT lately. Mike and I were cleaning up some in my "junk"/storage room over the Memorial Day weekend. I've saved doll clothes and Transformers toys for years for my then-future children to play with. But since they're all in heaven with heavenly adult bodies, they just won't need them. I haven't yet gotten rid of the doll clothes box, but eventually it will go...b/c what's the point of keeping it?... there is no future heritage to pass along. And it makes me cry every single time I think about it. And you know how much I hate crying.

1 comment:

Gwynne said...

My heart breaks for you and other women in your shoes, especially when I consider that 40% statistic. It seems so unfair. And yet, what is wonderful is that the work you are doing to help young women and their families make better choices is, in a sense, a way of leaving descendants behind. I know they're not really "yours" but many might not be here if not for you. Perhaps you could befriend a special child and share your treasures with him/her.