Monday, September 15, 2008

Choosing words

I'm irked by news writers who choose to use the phrase "tough it out" when referring to those who chose to remain on Galveston Island during Ike. This phrase implies that those who heeded the evacuation orders are not tough. Choosing to stay, and then needing rescue does not make you tough. I can't imagine how expensive it is to evacuate: gas, lodging, meals. I'm positive that evacuating is stressful. But, good grief. As bad as Ike was, it could have been worse and choosing to stay was simply foolish, not tough. Mike & I have discussed several times whether we would try to evacuate the DC area if there was an evacuation order. We've concluded that there's nowhere to go, and no way to get there (so few roads getting out of here) so we would stay. I'm changing my opinion on that now.

1 comment:

Gwynne said...

I've been wanting to post about this also...it is very aggravating to think about all the dollars spent rescuing those who refused to evacuate when the evacuation order became mandatory. Where's the natural consequence of their actions in that? How is that a wise use of our government? It disgusts me really.