Wednesday, June 11, 2008

National Treasure: Book of Secrets

We watched National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets last night, and really enjoyed it. The car chase was as good or better than in the last movie, and rivals a Bond film, but doesn't go on as long as a Bourne film so you don't get bored. You get to see sights in Paris, London, D.C., and South Dakota. I've never seen Mt. Rushmore in person, and have mostly seen closeup shots so seeing the panorama perspective on its locale was quite wonderful. I loved the puzzles they had to solve... less history than the previous film, more puzzle solving. Some touching attempts at relationships, although I didn't understand why Nicholas Cage had moved out of the house he was sharing with his girlfriend... wasn't it HIS house that he had bought with his reward from the previous film? Riley was looking less geeky and more sophisticated. And I really like Ed Harris.. can't think of a role of his that I haven't enjoyed (off the top of my head). Finding the treasure was a bit of a let down..some gold temples...so what? So while the film was not quite as tense as the previous one, had a lot to live up to, and maybe was formula (what isnt, these days???), I really enjoyed it and recommend it.

No comments: