Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Foreign Languages

I may speak "whale", but I apparently do not speak "dog". Terabyte came running up to me and snuggled around my legs a few minutes ago. I thought she was being lovey or friendly. No. I should know by now that she does not love me the way that I love her. She merely wanted something from me. Namely, to open the door so she could go outside. I didnt understand this, and just petted her and loved on her. She ran off to the dining room and then came back and snuggled some more. This time I wondered, so I asked her if she needed to go outside. She enthusiastically said yes and we hurried outside. Where she proceeded to do NOTHING but sniff at the rabbit and squirrel trails. Come back inside and confirm that she has once more pottied on the warm dry beige indoor "grass".

After four months of working daily with her on this, I'm extremely frustrated on why we can not understand her cues. We take her out before and after meals, to the same spot, etc. If she doesn't go during our 5-10 minutes of walking around outside, we wait 10-15 minutes and try again. After 3 or 4 attempts, we need to get busy with the things we need to do. And then discover we have failed again. I don't recall having this much trouble with housebreaking in the past, and its really frustrating.

No comments: