Saturday, March 25, 2006

Learning to Pot


Last night I had trouble sleeping because I was so excited about starting a pottery class today. Wow, its hard work! We sit at nice pottery wheels like these.

JH Pottery has a nice online tutorial with photos that shows what I learned today.

My first pot got a little too thin in the wall as I was pulling up and it collapsed. So I had to squish that clay and I'll use it as scrap clay for the rest of the class. However, in the remaining class time I managed to throw two more pots. Neither of them is particularly elegant or shapely, but they're not hideous ruins either. So they are drying this week and next week I get to trim them. I plan to do some carving on them, inspired by memories of indian pueblo pottery in New Mexico. In a couple of weeks when I have something to show, I'll post pictures.

No comments: