Friday, January 27, 2006

20th Anniversary of Challenger Disaster



Where were you when the Challenger blew up?



I was skiing in Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, with my church youth group. I found out from a guy that was on the chair lift with me. I rushed back down the mountain to the ski lodge and spent the rest of the day watching the coverage on the big TV in the lounge. I cried alot. I cried again today.

I spent a lot of my youth wanting to be an astronaut, especially to help us get to Mars. I attended Space Academy Levels I and II. I had posters of the space shuttle on my walls. I wore my Space Academy blue flight suit to school, and carried my astronaut Cabbage Patch doll with me on those days. Yes, I was in high school. Yes, I was and still am weird. But I didnt go to the Air Force Academy for college, and that's really the biggest way to get into the shuttle program. Life has taken a different course, and now the closest I get to outer space is devotion to Stargate SG-1. I have on my "50 things to do before I die" list one trip into space as a tourist.

Will we humans ever get to Mars? Maybe. But it will probably be at least one more generation.

No comments: