Sunday, August 23, 2009

Book Review: The Spire by Richard North Patterson

"The Spire" is the first book I've read by Richard North Patterson, and I found it hard to put down. Apparently this style of book (a psychological thriller) is not his usual fare, but I found it very well done even though I figured out who the bad guy was about 2/3 of the way through the book. The characters are rich and deep, with lives that are not trivial. I loved the way the author wove present-day and flashbacks together...it was very nicely done. A few plot twists were less-than-probable, but overall it was a nicely complicated story. A (hopefully unnecessary) warning to parents that this book is not for children, and probably not for teens under 18 due to the explicit inclusion of drinking, drug use, casual sex, and racially-based sadism.

So yeah, the brownies contain dog-poop but at least they were baked at 450 degrees... that should make them okay to eat, right?

No comments: