Thursday, October 02, 2008

100 Things to Eat Before You Die

As seen at Tinkerty Tonk.

The rules:
1) Copy this list into your blog.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

1.Venison - in MS I went to a church potluck that had at least 4 different venison dishes.
2. Nettle tea - Never heard of it.
3. Huevos rancheros - I grew up in New Mexico.
4. Steak tartare - I don't think I've had this, but I'd like to.
5. Crocodile - Sure, I'd take a bite.
6. Black pudding - Maybe I had a bite when we were in England, but I'm not sure. Beth says the Black pudding she's had in Ireland was very good.
7. Cheese fondue - one of my all-time favorite foods.
8. Carp - didn't know these decorative fish were edible.
9. Borscht - I've had a number of very lovely borschts.
10. Baba ghanoush - Eggplant is lovely.
11. Calamari - I had a lovely Calamari dish just last week at Silverado's.
12. Pho - Had to look this one up.
13. PB&J sandwich - I'm not fond of these.
14. Aloo gobi - Had to look this one up. Maybe its been in a buffet, but I don't know for sure.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - Don't think I've ever dared to eat these questionably cooked items.
16. Epoisses - Had to look this one up. I like cheese, but haven't heard of this one.
17. Black truffle - As far as I know I've never had any kind of truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - MMMMMmmmm cherry wine!
19. Steamed pork buns - Had to look it up.
20. Pistachio ice cream - I hate pistachio anything.
21. Heirloom tomatoes - I had an incredible salad of heirloom tomatoes at the restaurant at Winterthur.
22. Fresh wild berries - blackberries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans - hmm...pretty sure its supposed to be beans & rice.
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper - Had to look it up.
27. Dulce de leche - does flavored ice cream count?
28. Oysters
29. Baklava - love it!
30. Bagna cauda - don't like anchovies.
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - sounds wonderful.
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut - at least once a year on Groundhog's Day!
35. Root beer float - even had one at A&W restaurants
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo - Had it in several towns in Louisiana.
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects - ewwwww
43. Phaal - Had to look it up.
44. Goat’s milk - we called it Ghost milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu - would try a bite if I felt pretty sure it had been prepared right.
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel - eeeeew
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi - Had to look it up.
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle - Had it quite often in Germany
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine -hmmmm....might take a bite
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin - can't figure out what this is
64. Currywurst
65. Durian - doesn't look promising
66. Frogs’ legs - eeeew
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - had Beignets in the French Quarter, churros and funnel cake at various places
68. Haggis - tried one for a Scottish themed birthday once. Probably wouldn't eat it again.
69. Fried plantain - Had it in Jamaica and the Bahamas.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette - eeeew
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost - looks good!
75. Roadkill - eeeew
76. Baijiu - Had to look it up.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - cherry!
78. Snail - eeeeew
79. Lapsang souchong - Had to look it up.
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum - might take a sip, but not sure I could eat it all
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky - Had to look it up.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse - don't think I could eat it if I knew it was being served
90. Criollo chocolate - Had to look it up.
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab - don't like it
93. Rose harissa - Had to look it up.
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

So I've eaten 41 of the 100, and there's 10 I would never eat plus a few more I didn't cross off but probably wouldn't be able to eat. Some of the remaining ones look very good!

I'm surprised Buffalo wasn't on the list (had it in Colorado).

No comments: