Saturday, June 21, 2008

Andromeda Strain miniseries

Last evening while I was destoning cherries to make a cobbler, I watched "The Andromeda Strain" miniseries from A&E. I'm glad Benjamin Bratt was able to get a job, but hmm... I think the only thing this miniseries had in common with Michael Crichton's book was the title and the very baseline premise about a satelite crashing with a plague on board that we have to figure out how to combat. The rest was invented. Now, if you had never read the book, the movie wasn't too horrible...and I would actually say that it was better than the made-for-TV movie junk that the SCIFI channel pumps out... SciFi channel could actually learn a thing or two here. For example, there were no ridiculous zombies, dinosaurs, or alien monsters. There were no pinup girls running around in their underwear screaming. In fact, I can't remember any nudity at all. I don't remember any bad language either. The special effects were pretty nice, the acting was fine (not stellar perhaps, but no one sucked). As an avid scifi fan will I buy this? No. Will I ever watch it again? Probably not. But it was diverting enough to keep me from being bored.

No comments: