Monday, January 02, 2006

"March of the Penguins" comments on review

SleepyBeth watched "March of the Penguins" last night and couldn't sleep afterward. Her review of the movie is horrifying. I won't be watching the movie.

Details like the ones she mentions are also mentioned here:

Screen It!

A reviewer at BarnesAndNoble.com said "Exposes children to concepts of death of children and parents.
This was a very well done documentary however I was not prepared for the nightmares and loss of innocence caused by this movie. My just turned six year old internalized the death of the mother penguin who was eaten by the seal and understood the deaths times three of baby penguins and eggs. This has caused problems we were not ready for. We left the movie theatre early. The G rating doesn't reflect the material content."

Urban Sherpa was also affected by the dead penguin chicks, saying "I’d just seen March of the Penguins. So the sight of a little dead bird lying there on the ground damn near undid me. I stood there, tearing up, wondering if there were little baby birds who would now starve to death. Then I saw the ants swarming in the pigeon’s empty eye sockets, swallowed quickly, and moved on."

1 comment:

Michael said...

I don't think I will want to watch this movie....ever.